In 1956, a group of local residents decided to form a junior rugby league club at Narraweena on Sydney’s northern beaches. A meeting was held at Frank Mahoney’s barber shop in Alfred St, Narraweena on March 25, 1957 – and the Narraweena Junior Rugby League Club was born. Charlie Rollins (See Picture on left) was elected President at the meeting with Jack Kattie elected Secretary and Jack Palings the Treasurer. The committtee was Des Bennett, Stan Cray, Fred Duval, Gordon Mason, Allan Quinlan, Keith Rollins and Paul Tobin. In its first decision, the committee set the club’s annual membership fee at one pound ($2).
Donations from local businesses and the sale of raffle tickets were the main source of income in the early days. The club’s colours were blue and white, in keeping with the colours on the local butcher’s apron. Meeting venues expanded to include the homes of members and businesses, including Terry Dalton’s fruit shop in Alfred St. In a sign of things to come, the club won the 1958 Pop Hall Trophy for the most outstanding club in only its second year in the junior league.
Narraweena’s first coach in the MWJRL was Frank Mahoney in 1957 and the team played in the D Grade Competition (See picture on left). It didn’t take long for the first Narraweena premierships to come along with success in 1958 – U/19 (Coach F Mahoney), 1959 – U/19 (F Mahoney) and U/13 (E Moore), 1960 – U/13 (P Diversi) and 1961 – U/16 (R Johnson), U/15 (E Moore), U/14 (P Diversi) and U/13 (L McAlphine).
In the 1970s, the club emblem took on new importance as a way of uniting a team under one distinctive symbol. The Narraweena committee sought ideas on which symbol best summed up the spirit of the club – and in 1974, after much discussion and debate, decided to use the name HAWKS. The colours blue and white have remained although the design of the jumper has varied at times.
Charlie Rollins elected President of Narraweena Junior Rugby League Club 1957
Frank Mahoney and the D Grade Squad 1957